KIDS IN THE KITCHEN:
EASY CHRISTMAS RECIPES
(Note: All recipes using a stove or oven need adult supervision.)
These are yummy!
You will need:
1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave, or melt it in a double boiler on the stove. (Have an adult help you with this.)
2. One at a time, dip the pretzels so that they are covered half-way.
3. Put the pretzels on waxed paper until they harden.
Turtle Candy (very chewy)
4 ounces pecan halves
24 caramel candies
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening
1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, shiny side up.
3. Lightly grease the foil.
4. For each turtle candy, place 3 pecan halves in a Y shape on the foil.
5. Place a caramel candy in the center of each Y.
6. Bake in oven about 9-10 minutes, until the caramels are melted.
7. Heat chocolate chips in the microwave in a microwavable bowl, about 2 minutes on high.
8. Stir 1 teaspoon shortening into the melted chocolate.
9. Spread the melted chocolate over the turtles.
10. Refrigerate about 30 minutes to harden.
1 jar (5-10 oz) marshmallow cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine marshmallow cream, sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and salt in a saucepan.
2. Heat on medium, stirring constantly, bringing mixture to a full boil.
3. Continue boiling, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Add semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips, and stir until melted.
6. Stir in chopped nuts and vanilla.
7. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
8. Pour mixture into the pan, and chill in the refrigerator until firm.
9. Cut into squares.
Mouse Cheese Ball
What do the holiday mice like to eat? CHEESE!
They love this cheese ball recipe for holidays, parties, or for anytime. Celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Valentine's Day, or have a Mouse Party at any time of the year with this Mouse Cheese Ball.
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz) jar of any processed cheese
4 oz any grated cheese (cheddar is good)
1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
Form into a ball.
Roll in crushed walnuts.
Now decorate your mouse cheese ball!
Use two round crackers for mouse ears.
Use pretzel sticks for whiskers.
Use nuts for eyes (shelled peanuts work well)
Use a long strip of onion for a tail.
Serve with crackers. YUM!
Click here for some yummy candy cane recipes
Christmas Party Sandwiches
whole wheat bread
peanut butter and jelly
gingerbread men cookie cutters
Using cookie cutters, cut slices of bread into gingerbread men shapes- (or make angels, or stars and bells.)
Fill the sandwiches with peanut butter and jelly, or with your favorite sandwich fillings.
2 quarts apple cider
1 teaspoon cloves
3 inch cinnamon stick
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 lemon, sliced
Put all of the ingredients in a pan.
Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
Hot Apple-Cranberry Punch (makes one cup)
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup cranberry juice
1 orange slice, cut in half
Put the juices in a microwave-safe mug.
Add the half orange slice.
Heat in microwave 2 minutes on high.